What is a fire curtain?
On the face of it, a fire curtain seems like an obvious piece of fire safety equipment, but many people are unfamiliar with the technicalities of a curtain and how exactly they help in the parameters of fire safety. Simply put, a fire curtain is a temporary wall that will descend from the ceiling to provide a blockage or obstacle partition in-between two areas when a fire occurs.
This guide will enable you to understand how a fire curtain can help save your life and prevent smoke and flames from spreading throughout your building or business. K & D Systems offer over 30 years of invaluable experience in dealing with fire in homes, businesses and large establishments and can provide wholesale fire safety solutions and advice to help safeguard your home or business against the potential threat of a disastrous fire.
As fire curtain specialists, K & D Systems have the skills and experience to offer a comprehensive and fully-certified fire curtain service, from designing and manufacturing it right through to its supply and installation process.
Discreet and lightweight, fire curtains provide you with an alternative to fire shutters and fire doors – they are equally as effective.
Why choose us?
K & D Systems are a widely acknowledged company who deals with the professional design, manufacture and installation of world-class fire curtains in the UK, as well as many other products crucial to the fire protection industry.
We understand the importance of fire safety and protection and strive to create and provide the best products for every single one of our clients, whatever the industry they are in.
Choosing from our products has a number of benefits, including:
- Slim and lightweight fire curtains for minimum footprint and disruption to your building
- Unlimited width fire curtains with a drop of up to 8 metres
- Insulated and uninsulated designs available
- All driven by 24V and 240V-operated motors (will work during the event of loss of mains power)
- Easy installation
- Delivery will take between 2 to 5 working days
How they operate
We offer a variety of options for how the fire curtains can operate to make sure that all your requirements are met.
The fire curtains can all use up to two alarm inputs to initiate closing. These inputs can be from your local fire alarm panel, smoke detectors or any volt-free contact.
After the alarm input, there are a number of closing settings for you to choose from, including:
- To close as soon as any local warning systems are set off
- To wait for a given time period before closing
- To partially close and then wait a given period of time before closing completely
Another alarm output available is the incorporation of other local alarm equipment, such as voice warning systems, flashing beacons, and sirens.
Twin Skin fire curtains
We have recently introduced the new Twin Skin automatic fire curtains to K & D Systems & the Twin Skin 2.0 Fire & Smoke Curtain; an un-insulated curtain that offers two hours of fire protection.
This model not only prevents the spread of fire in that two hour period, but also protects people and property from fire, ensuring minimal damage and maximum escape time.
Quality fire curtains have proved to be life savers, so it’s unsurprising that more and more companies are coming to us to have them installed. We’ve helped construction businesses, architects, shopping centres, hospitals and other venues to ensure them maximum fire protection.
Technology installed in Internationally Recognised Blue Chip Companies including:
- WH Smiths
- H & M
- New Look
- Costa Coffee
“Only the highest standards will do”
Meets all Fire and Smoke standards and more as follows:
- Over 3 HOUR protection
- BS EN 1634-1: 2000
- EN 1634-3: 2004
- BS 476: Part 22: 1987 Clause 8
- BS 7364: Part 3: 1990 Section 4.1
- PAS 121: 2008
- 5.2 Durability
- 5.3 Response
- 5.7 Fire
- 5.9 Impact
- Tube Motors tested to 400c for 30mins
- Further testing in progress
- Complete control of manufacturing process
- Manufactured to highest standards possible
- Designed to work in all circumstances
Installation and Maintenance Programme agreed in advance
- Guaranteed back-up and support
- Only licensed and fully certified maintenance operators and installers allowed
- 24-hour response and installation
- Online telephone advice and support
Management Team behind K & D
- More than 100 years combined business experience
- Includes experts in Technology, Safety, Fire Curtains, and Smoke Control Systems
- International Export and System Support